There have been some major changes in my life over the last couple of years and work on Digital Fake Book had come to a standstill, but over the last few months I’ve been working on version 2 as time has allowed. I’ve decided to skip some of the planned features for the moment in the interest of getting something released.
I’m now calling on anyone who’s interested in playing with a potentially buggy version to volunteer to beta test it for me.
Digital Fake Book 2 – Main New Features: (edited November 2018)
- Autocue. A larger font is shown and will scroll in time with a linked audio file. If you don’t want an audio file playing, then there is a silent file supplied that can be used. Basically, you mark which lines should be centralised at various points on the media file time indexes and Digital Fake Book will scroll the text smoothly to attempt to achieve it.
- Basic MIDI events that can be sent on song load, playback start or at set times. Mainly used for selecting the correct patches on MIDI equipment, but could also be used for some basic controlled lighting with a MIDI to DMX converter.
- User configurable keyboard shortcuts. Also, more functions have keyboard shortcuts available.
- Fonts can be selected on a song-by-song basis. These must be fixed width fonts as chords will not align properly with proportional fonts. Digital Fake Book will allow any fixed width font on your system to be used. Many fonts are available free to download if you search Google.
- Two different highlight colours can be used.
- Each song can have a memo to allow reminders when the song loads. The memo can be made to show manually or automatically when a song is loaded.
- View Song button allows loading a song directly from the right-hand master song list. This means you can handle an audience request and when you then move to the next song you are back at your current playlist’s next song.
- Song List Filter: A new filter in the song list window allows filtering songs containing the entered text in the title.
- Drag and drop reordering of songs and sets.
- Adding songs to a set will insert at the current position instead of at the end.
- Alphabetical sort function for songs.
- Command line option /SET: added to load a particular set at startup.
- A few new high contrast themes.
- Fully user configurable themes. Set all your own colours or modify the built-in ones.
- A clock is optionally shown in the top right of the Digital Fake Book main window.
- A large media playback counter that can be set to current time or remaining time.
- Digital Fake Book can be optionally prevented from accidentally moving to another song while a media file is playing.
- Up to 2 media files can now be linked and switched between. I use this to link a backing track for performance and also the original for reference and learning the song.
- The start point for media files can be set so that playback starts at the right spot, for example if there is a few seconds of silence at the beginning of the file, this silence can be skipped.
- An optional pop-up media tool bar with larger buttons to aid people using touch screens.
- Recently played list option. Shows which songs have been recently played.
- Marker on songs played during the current session. The song lists will show which songs have been played during the current run of Digital Fake Book so you don’t forget and accidentally play them again.
- The automatic sets ([All Songs Alphabetical], [All Songs Random] and the new [Recent Songs]) can now be individually hidden if you have no use for one or more of them.
- Many more functions can now be controlled by foot switches.
- Native support for the upcoming ASV3340 8 Channel USB Switch Controller. You can use up to 8 foot switches (or other switches) to control Digital Fake Book.